Author Notes: This jam is just the right amount of sweet. Try it with some crunchy gluten free toast for a vegan/gluten-free treat. Or slather it on a piece of buttered toast & topped with a fried egg, it makes the perfect breakfast or snack! —The Brit & The Baker
Makes: 1 half pint
cups ripe grape tomatoes
tablespoon olive oil
pinch of salt
teaspoon toasted fennel seeds
- Toast the fennel seeds in a dry pan for 2-5 minutes, until fragrant, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, char the tomatoes without oil on medium high heat. This should take about 10 minutes to get some good color on them.
- When the skins start to crack, add the olive oil and chopped shallot to the tomatoes.
- Add the toasted fennel seeds, sugar and salt.
- Smash the tomatoes in the pan and allow them to release all of their juices.
- Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes so the juices reduce and concentrate the flavor.
- When the mixture no longer tastes like raw tomatoes, blitz in a food processor until creamy.
- This jam can be served warm or cold. Slather on a piece of toast with a sprinkle of chopped chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe