If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is rich and velvety from the addition of cashew cream, and three different sources of tomatoes give it a complex flavor. It is the ultimate vegan comfort food. Serve with crusty whole grain bread for dunking. —Kayli Dice
ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus more for roasting cherry tomatoes)
medium yellow onion, roughly diced
cup raw cashews
cups low-sodium vegetable broth
cloves garlic, peeled and roughly minced
ounces can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
tablespoons tomato paste
teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Toss halved cheery tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt, and spread in a single layer onto a baking sheet.
- Roast in preheated oven for 45 minutes
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pot over medium. When hot, add diced onions and sauté until translucent.
- While onions are cooking, make cashew cream. In a high-speed blender, blend cashews with 1 cup vegetable broth until smooth and creamy
- Add garlic, cashew cream, remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and roasted cherry tomatoes to the soup pot
- Season with a large pinch of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes
- Puree soup until smooth using an immersion blender or by transferring soup into a regular blender
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe