If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm a little obsessed with this Carrot Avocado Salad recipe and its use of roasted citrus to build a sweet, tart dressing. So here, roasted lemon slices and shallots are the start of a salsa verde, which will go atop roasted cauliflower and fennel. —Ali Slagle
- 1 cauliflower, cut into smallish florets
- 1 fennel bulb, stalks removed, bulbs halved lengthwise, core removed, and then cut into 1-inch wedges lengthwise
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and then halved and the other sliced into 1/2-inch slices and seeded
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, fennel, lemon zest and halves and slices, shallots, minced garlic, paprika, olive oil, and a good dousing of salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is golden brown. Cool to room temp.
- To make the salsa verde, when the lemon slices and shallots are cool enough to touch, chop them (don't worry about chopping the halves; they'll be juiced). Then make the dressing: In a mortar and pestle (or food processor), mash the parsley and mint to make a paste. Then add the anchovy and capers along with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil and squeeze the roasted lemon halves over the mixture. Add the chopped lemon slices and shallots and stir to combine. Check for balance and adjust as you wish.
- Transfer the vegetables to a big bowl of plate, add the arugula, and drizzle a few tablespoons of the salsa verde. Toss gently, plate, and scatter the almonds on top before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!