If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I taught my daughter how to make butternut squash gnocchi, and found a batch I'd frozen. I added chicken sausage, and the dish was cheesy and delicious. It would be great with any chicken, turkey or chorizo sausage. —Leith Devine
- 8 chicken apple sausage, sliced into coins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 apples, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach
- 1/2 pound butternut squash gnocchi (or 1-2 pre-made pkgs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 handful sage leaves
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Slice the chicken sausages into coins. Chop the onion and apples.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. When the water is boiling, put in gnocchi and boil for 2-3 minutes, even after they have floated to the top. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil and 1 TB butter in a large frying pan and add onions, chopped apples and sausage coins. Cook on medium high heat until sausages are brown. Flip and continue cooking. When the sausages are almost done, add the fresh spinach and stir until wilted. The apples should be tender.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Add 1 TB butter and melt, then add the drained gnocchi. Fry on medium high heat until browned and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 TB of butter to pan and carefully cook until browned and bubbling. Add the sage leaves and cook until crispy. Pour sage sauce into a small bowl.
- Into the hot pan, add the sausage mixture and the browned gnocchi. Drizzle with browned butter sauce and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover pan until the cheeses are melted then sprinkle with fried sage leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pan Dinner