If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This warm wild rice salad with sweet delicata squash and crunchy kale is a delicious vegan side that will work well into the season. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
- 2 cups Vegetable broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 cup Wild rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Red onion, chopped
- 1/2 Anaheim pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Medium delicata squash, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out, and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- In a medium pot, bring 1½ cups broth and water to boil. Stir in rinsed rice and bring pot back to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Cook rice, stirring occasionally, until it is tender, anywhere between 30-75 minutes. Drain any additional liquid and set rice aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Stir in red onion, garlic, Anaheim pepper, and salt and cook until vegetables soften, about 7 minutes. Add in lemon zest and ginger and mix well.
- Add squash and kale to pan and stir well to combine. Pour in ½ cup of broth and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until squash is soft and kale is wilted. Season with additional salt to taste.
- Once rice is done cooking, add it to the skillet and stir well. Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until flavors meld together and liquid is evaporated.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall