If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The flavor in these fritters is ridiculous. I did not even manage to get a photo. The quality of bacon and type of beer with definitely make a difference. I used a salted scotch beer I had but a good pale ale will do. Likewise, a flavorful, smokey bacon makes a big difference. —savorthis
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cups apple, peeled, shredded
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- black pepper
- 1 small egg
- 3 ounces beer
- oil for frying
- Cook bacon over medium heat until fat has rendered. Remove to a paper towel lined bowl. Pour off all but 1 T fat and cook shallot until nicely browned. Squeeze apples to remove some liquid, then toss with bacon and shallot.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, curry and some black pepper. Mix beer and egg, then mix it all together. Pour enough batter over apple mixture to just coat. Fry in a little oil until browned- a few minutes per side. Eat hot with some pickled mustard seed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Apples