If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Looking for a new twist on traditional mashed potatoes for your holiday dinner table? Reinvent your best mashed potato recipe with our chef’s rendition. With the addition of only a few ingredients, this dish is unexpected, easy and sure to surprise your guests. Wine pairing suggestions are included, too. —Jordan Winery
- 4-6 Servings of mashed Russet potatoes
- 3 Shallots, peeled and caramelized in a cast-iron skillet
- 3/4 cup Sautéed wild mushrooms (chanterelles and maitake recommended)
- 2 teaspoons Tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Additional tarragon springs for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Follow your favorite mashed potato recipe to completion. (Our chef recommends heating butter and cream together before folding into potatoes and adding salt during the fold, which ensures even seasoning, eliminates the need to reheat the finished product and decreases risk of over mashing.) After potatoes are mashed, fold in chopped shallots, mushrooms, tarragon and olive oil. Garnish with additional tarragon sprigs. Season to taste and serve. The earthy notes of the mushrooms and herbs, coupled with the caramelized notes of the shallots, allow these mashed potatoes to stand up to an elegant Cabernet Sauvignon, such as Jordan or a Bordeaux. Makes 4-6 servings.