Author Notes: This is an old favorite of mine that I first created about 14 years ago after sampling something like it at a Chinese restaurant. —Palatable Pastime
Food52 Review: This is a weeknight dinner that I'll look forward to all day. The ingredients came straight from the pantry and didn't require several stops at specialty stores. The entire meal came together in the time it takes to cook a pot of rice. I liked the technique of frying the chicken separately since it made the end product less mushy and oily. The black pepper gave the dish a more sophisticated edge. My family loved it—easier, healthier, and tastier than ordering in! —TaraP
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
ounces boneless chicken thigh
cup chopped white onion
cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
tablespoons peanut oil
cup hot steamed rice, more to taste
Black Pepper Sauce
cup oyster sauce
teaspoon dark sweet soy sauce
teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry
tablespoon black pepper
- Mix sauce ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
- Dice chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Toss chicken with cornstarch and shake off excess.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a wok or deep skillet.
- Fry coated chicken pieces in hot oil until golden and cooked through; drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet and add onion, cooking until translucent; add peas and carrots and cook one minute more.
- Stir in fried chicken pieces with sauce, and cook until everything is hot.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!