Author Notes: I made this recipe up on the spot the other night after picking up some lovely, tender asparagus at the market. It's delicious, surprisingly light, and makes a perfect spring supper when paired with a roasted salmon fillet dressed with a little olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper. Enjoy! —gretchenabbott
shallots, peeled and minced
cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2 lb
asparagus, cut into 2-inch slices
small yukon gold potato, peeled and diced small
handful of small cauliflower florets
cups vegetable or chicken stock
teaspoon fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt butter in soup pot.
- Add garlic and shallots. Stir and cook uncovered on low heat for about five minutes.
- Add asparagus, potato, a generous handful of small cauliflower florets, and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover loosely, and simmer gently for about fifteen minutes.
- Add lemon juice and stir into soup. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree the soup with a stick blender or mash with a potato masher for a chunky consistency.
- Stir a spoonful of sour cream and a spoonful of pesto into each bowl before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe