Author Notes: Have you noticed that I love shrimp? One of my favorites is "Potted Shrimp" a cold shrimp spread that starts with cooking the shrimp with shallots and sherry. I've turned that flavor into a hot, shrimp stuffed mushroom. These disappeared so fast that I only had one left to photo. —janet voris
Large crimini mushrooms
Large shallot, finely chopped, about 1/4 cup
26-30ct raw peeled deveined shrimp
tablespoons Cream Sherry
Ritz crackers, roughly crushed
cup Shredded hard cheese, Parm, Asiago, Romano
tablespoon Chives, chopped
Additional cheese for topping
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Scrape insides to make room for stuffing. Lightly oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute shallots and bay leaf in butter over med heat until shallots begin to soften.
- Add whole shrimp and saute, turning once, until just cooked through. Do not overcook.
- Add sherry, and cook until almost all absorbed.
- Remove shrimp to a cutting board and add cracker crumbs, cheese and chives to pan. Lightly season with salt and pepper, remembering that the shrimp and cheese add salt.
- Chop shrimp and add back to pan.
- Stuff prepared mushrooms, pressing the stuffing in and rounding the tops. Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Bake in a shallow baking dish at 350* for 20-25 mins, until mushrooms start to give off their liquid and tops begin to brown.