If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have used this filling (without the cream and eggs) for a favorite filo hors d'oeuvre,and also for a soup! but I also love it in this less rich tart version. The bright flavors of chevre and sundried tomato are tied together by the smoked eggplant and complemented by the nuttiness of the pine nuts and whole wheat crust. —LE BEC FIN
Tart Shell for 9 x 1 1/2 inch metal false-bottom cake or tart pan
- Use this or your favorite whole wheat pie crust recipe:
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick, a circle big enough to overhang the sides of the pan. Crimp the edge. Pre-bake/blind bake crust . Cool to room temp.
Smoked Eggplant, Chevre, Sundried Tomato Pine Nut filling
- 1.3 lb. dark purple eggplant
- 1/4 cup minced roasted red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon basil puree
- 3 ounces mild creamy chevre, room temp, mashed with fork
- 1 Tablespoon ground Parmesan
- 1/8 cup sundried tomato puree made from poached Italian, not CA., sundried tomatoes
- 3.5 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 5 large eggs,whisked
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Kosher Salt and fresh coarsely ground pepper
- With a sharp knife tip or skewer, poke a few vent holes in the eggplant. Place it directly over a gas flame (or under a broiler) , turning it after a side has blackened, until the eggplant is black all over. Bake in 400 degrees F oven til soft and collapses when pressed.Set aside. Roast red pepper over direct flame, turning til blackened all over.Put into a paper or plastic bag for at least 15 minutes, then peel under lightly running water. Mince. Slit the eggplant from top to bottom, open up, and scoop out flesh.Place flesh in bowl. Mash with fork.
- Add basil through paste, combining thoroughly with a fork. Add pine nuts and minced red pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove 1 cup for tart filling. Remainder can be used for a second tart or broiled panini or filo triangles or soup (add chicken stock.)
- Whisk thoroughly eggs , cream and milk, S&P. Whisk into 1 cup smoked eggplant mixture. Pour into pre-baked crust. Bake 350 degrees F ~30 minutes til set and poked skewer comes out clean. Let cool; serve at room temp.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tart