If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's the middle of winter and everything I have been making has been heavy or spicy. I came up with this dish as a light vegetarian accoutrement to Ottolenghi's fluffy Herbed Rice from Plenty. I wanted to use up some Brussels Sprouts and I thought that the stems from the bulb of fennel I had just come home with would be fun to use as they often just get tossed. Well it came together beautifully, enjoy! —Jenn
Shallot (quartered and sliced thin)
cup Brussels sprouts ( bottoms cut off, brown outer leaves discarded and sliced very thin)
cup stalks of Fennel ( about 3- the wider stalks leaves trimmed off and slice thin, save the bottom for another dish and put a couple tbs of the fennel leaves aside for garnish)
tablespoon Butter (cut into 3 or 4 small pieces)
Lemon (zest and set aside, cut in half to use juice)
tablespoons Toasted Pinenuts
- Heat a non stick skillet on med-high heat with 1 tbs of oil.
- Add in shallot and sauté for a few minutes until start to gleam, turn heat down to medium if shallots are browning quickly, add in butter and sauté for another minute or two.
- Incorporate Brussels and Fennel and drizzle with remaining 1 tbs evoo. Continue to sauté another 8 minutes moving around every few minutes, squeeze half of your lemon over cooking vegetables and cook for 2 more minutes. You should just start to get little crispy bits throughout, turn off heat. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pour into serving dish. Top with lemon zest, toasted pine nuts and lightly chopped fennel leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad