If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Jalepeno-corn waffle topped with refried beans, pico de gallo, avocado and an over-easy egg. View this recipe and more at www.nomappetit.com —Kelli
Makes 3-4 waffles
Jalepeno Corn Waffles
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons jalepeno, seeded and minced (or to taste)
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Toppings (use as many as you like)
- refried beans
- pico de gallo
- avocado or guacamole
- over-easy or poached egg
- shredded or crumbled cheese, cheddar, jack, cotija
- sour cream
- lime juice
- Preheat waffle iron per manufacturer's instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Add egg, oil, buttermilk, jalapeno, cheese and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Spray heated waffle iron with cooking spray and pour 1/2 cup of batter into iron and cook until golden brown; repeat until all batter has been used. (Note: Depending on the size of your waffle maker, you may need to use more or less batter per waffle)
- Top waffle with refried beans, fried egg, pico de gallo, avocado, and cilantro (or toppings of choice).
- Serve immediately.
- NOTE: These waffles can be frozen in plastic bags after they are cooked and defrosted and reheated in the waffle iron, toaster or oven.