Author Notes: Artichokes in Lemon Sauce is very simple, but the presentation is sure to please everyone at the table. This recipe is from our book "Cooking with the Bible: Recipes for Biblical Meals." —Anthony Chiffolo
juice of one lemon
cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
radicchio or variegated arugula
vinaigrette dressing or butter dip
- Pour the water into a large saucepan and put in place a basket or standing strainer/sieve. Add lemon juice and garlic to the water. Cut the stems off the chokes and with scissors or a sharp knife cut the upper part of the leaves straight across (they tend to be spiny and prickly, so it's best to remove them before cooking or eating), leaving a flat top. Place the artichokes in the strainer, partially cover the pot, and cook for about 30–35 minutes at a medium-to-high heat. (Do not overcook, or they become mushy.)
- Remove from pot and arrange on a large platter surrounded by radicchio or variegated arugula.
- Serve with a vinaigrette dressing or a warm butter dip.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Artichoke Recipe