Author Notes: This simple, but delicious recipe has been passed down through many generations. I got it from my grandmother, who is from Ukraine, and make it every time I have a BBQ. Everyone always loves it! —MamaLlama
large baking potatoes, preferably Russets/Idaho
cup Hellman's regular mayonnaise
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Boil until soft (approx. 10 min after water starts to boil).
- Drain potatoes in a colander and then set aside in a bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the 4 cucumbers and put in separate bowl. Add the 4 tbsp salt to it, making sure it is evenly spread over slices.
- Allow cucumbers to sit for 15 min, then transfer to a colander and rinse well under water to let excess salt drain out.
- Mash and squeeze (by hand) the cucumbers until all the water is drained out as much as possible.
- Place the cucumbers into a large bowl and add the potatoes to it.
- Dice the onion into very small pieces and add to cucumbers and potatoes.
- Scoop 3/4 cup of mayonnaise (more or less to your taste) and add to the bowl of potatoes, cucumbers, and onions.
- Stir all ingredients together with a wooden spoon. Serve and enjoy that comforting old world taste! (You can also refrigerate before serving – tastes great cold too!)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad