If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This shaved asparagus salad is full of crunchy veggies and topped with a spicy sesame ginger dressing! —Tina Jeffers
Food52 Review: This is a flavorful, versatile slaw. I tossed it with soba noodles and thinly sliced flank steak to make a one bowl dinner, but it would also be a great in a chicken katsu sandwich or a teriyaki tofu wrap. I tried using both a vegetable peeler and a mandoline to get pretty ribbons of asparagus and failed miserably. I ended up using the mandoline to slice crosswise instead of lengthwise – the resulting coin-sized asparagus rounds worked just fine in the recipe. The dressing could be punched up with a little more acid and heat, but that’s an easy adjustment to make. —JenDavis
For the Slaw
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped, fresh mint
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped, fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- With a vegetable peeler or mandoline, thinly slice the asparagus into long strips lengthwise and put in a large bowl. Add the carrot, red cabbage, red bell pepper, mint, and cilantro.
- Whisk rice vinegar, soy sauce or tamari, ginger, sriracha, sesame oil, olive oil, and salt until well combined. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and cashews over the top before serving.