If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Basil and beets, two of my favorite foods and did you know? They go great together! I was thinning the beet patch yesterday and enjoyed a great dinner of beet greens. I couldn't waste those baby beets so boiled them up. Today I remembered your contest and concocted the Baby Beet & Basil Spread. I was so pleased with the results and hope you will try it. You won't regret it. The combination of baby beets and basil combined with the tartness of lime and the creaminess of the cream cheese just melts in your mouth. It is a very simple recipe using fresh beets, basil, cream cheese, a bit of lime juice, salt and pepper then pulse them together in the processor and voila! A delicious appetizer (and colorful I might add). Try it over a grilled piece of rustic bread or your favorite cracker or for breakfast with another of my favorite foods, bacon! —DigNDine
- 20 Baby Beets
- 20 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 pieces Rustic French Bread
- Boil baby beets until fork tender. Allow beets to cool then peel skin off.
- Place beets, 15 fresh basil leaves, cream cheese, lime juice, salt and pepper into food processor and pulse until somewhat smooth consistency.
- Toast or grill french bread.
- Smear each slice of bread with prepared Baby Beet & Basil Spread. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and left over chopped basil. Garnish with a sprig of more fresh basil and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil