If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fresh baby spinach and basil absorb sweet and savory flavors when tossed with caramelized onions and garlic. Pure honey and tangy apple cider vinegar are cooked down into a dressing for this warm salad. Crispy applewood smoked bacon crumbled over the dish adds crunch while the melted yolk of a soft-cooked egg enlivens the greens with color and richness. —kitchen witch
4 large cage-free eggs
2 thick slices applewood smoked, nitrate-free bacon
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed with side of knife
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 bag (1 pound) pre-washed baby spinach
1 cup basil leaves
sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes
- Bring water in a saucepan to a boil. Remove the pan from the burner. Gently lower the eggs into the water and return the pan to the hot burner. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the water and cool the eggs in cool water. Peel the eggs. Eggs may also be poached or sauteed as desired.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon for 4 minutes over medium heat. Remove bacon from pan to a plate leaving the rendered oil in the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until softened. Add honey and apple cider vinegar and sauté until the onion has caramelized, about 5 more minutes.
- Place the spinach and basil into the pan. Season with sea salt and red pepper flakes. Toss with tongs until the leaves are just wilted, about 30 seconds. Pour the mixture into a bowl and crumble bacon into chunks over the salad. Halve the soft-cooked eggs and arrange on top of the salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil