If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fried Tofu With Thai Special Sauce is a spicy and delicious, flavorful dish that can be served with steamed rice for lunch or dinner. The recipe is vegan and gluten free. ( This is the recipe from my own blog) —Sri Mallya
- 14 ounces Tofu
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 Lemon grass chopped
- 1 piece Tamarind
- 1 tablespoon Coconut grated
- 2 Green chilies
- 5 sprigs Cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- In a pan on medium heat add oil, cumin seeds, chopped onion, chopped ginger and garlic, lemon grass and saute until onions turn light brown in color.
- Now in a blender add the sauteed ingredients from the above step, tamarind, grated coconut, coriander leaves and green chilies. Add about half cup of warm water and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste to a pan on medium heat. Add turmeric powder, cayenne powder, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and sriracha sauce. Add water for desired consistency, dried basil leaves and salt to taste and bring it to a nice boil. Sauce is now ready.
- Heat oil for frying. See that atleast 40 % of the pan is covered with oil. Drain the tofu so that its reasonably dry. I press them between the kitchen towel to remove any excess water.
- Cut them into desired shape (triangle, rectangle, cube) and sprinkle salt on them.
- While the tofu is warm, add it to the prepared sauce and toss well till they are coated. Garnish it with coriander leaves or cilantro and serve immediately with steamed rice or your favorite side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu