If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Delicious dish where the tofu is cooked in spicy and aromatic spinach gravy. This is a perfect accompaniment for any breads or steamed rice. This recipe is from my own blog. —Sri Mallya
- 1 bunch Spinach / Palak
- 14 ounces Tofu cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Clove
- 3 Cardamom seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup Milk ( coconut milk for vegans)
- 1 teaspoon Dried kasuri methi (optional)
- 5 sprigs Coriander leaves / Cilantro
- Wash and cook the spinach in boiling water for 2 minutes and transfer to a bowl with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- After about a minute, remove the spinach from cold water, drain any excess water and transfer to a blender or grinder and blend it to form a smooth paste. You may add little water while blending if required.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan. Add cumin seeds, clove, cardamom seeds, bay leaf, and saute for few seconds.
- Now add onion along with some salt and saute until it turns translucent. Next, add garlic cloves, ginger, green chilies and continue sauteing till onion becomes light golden in color. Add tomatoes and cook until they are softened.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato ketchup, blended spinach paste, and milk and simmer it uncovered on medium-high flame for about 5 minutes.
- Finally add cubes of tofu and continue simmering on medium flame for another 5 minutes.
- You may garnish the dish with crushed kasuri methi, ginger julienne, coriander leaves and a dollop of butter if desired.
- Serve hot with your favorite bread and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu