If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad tastes nothing of frogskins and slimewanglers. It is crunchy and punchy and make the perfect addition to any summer barbeque spread, especially when washed down with a tall glass of ice cold frobscottle. —Rebecca Firkser
Serves 6 to 8 as a side
For the dressing:
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or any neutral oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Prep the lemongrass (https://food52.com/blog/10031-how-to-prep-lemongrass) and mince finely. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the grapeseed oil. Lower heat a bit and sauté lemongrass, garlic, and ginger until aromatic and slightly softened but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine rice vinegar, lime juice and zest, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Whisk in the lemongrass mixture, then slowly stream in the sesame oil.
For the salad:
- 1/4 snozzcumber... OR substitute the following:
- 1 medium head cauliflower (any color!) or romanesco broccoli
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots (chef's choice color), thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, plus more for garnish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 dragon fruit, thinly sliced
- If using a snozzcumber: Peel the snozzcumber, slice vertically and chop thin pieces. Place in a large bowl and prepare the dressing.
- If using alternative vegetables: Fill a large saucepan halfway with water and a generous pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil. Cut the cauliflower into large florets. Fill a bowl with cold water and ice and set aside. Boil the cauliflower for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, then transfer to the ice bath. Once cool, drain and set aside.
- Thinly slice the cauliflower florets (think: flat trees) and place in a large bowl with cucumber, carrots, and scallions. Toss with dressing.
- When ready to serve, top with dragon fruit (https://food52.com/blog/9652-everything-you-need-to-know-about-dragon-fruit), cashews, and additional scallions. Enjoy with a large glass of ice-cold frobscottle.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!