If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These steamed tomatoes are so juicy! Steaming is one of the healthiest cooking methods. To steam, you would need a wok and a steaming rack that fits in the wok. —UnderTheCocoCasaRoof
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- 8 heirloom tomatoes
- 5 baby carrots, fine julienned
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian basil
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Thompson raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut stem ends from tomatoes. Scoop out tomato meat into a small bowl. Reserve shells.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Then, add onion. Cook until onion is translucent, then add garlic. Add carrot when garlic is starting to brown. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add tomato meat, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey and couscous. Cook until the couscous absorbs all the liquid. Add chopped basil, pine nuts and raisins. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill tomato shells with couscous. Fill wok with water to bottom of steaming rack. Cover the wok and bring it to a simmer.
- Uncover wok and place a shallow baking dish on rack. Add stuffed tomatoes to dish. Cover. Steam tomatoes for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes