If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tired of bringing hummus to parties as your vegan appetizer of choice? Then these spicy lettuce wraps--which are sure to please any crowd of eaters--are your next party offering. Simple to prepare, satisfying, and full of flavor. —Gena Hamshaw
- 8 ounces frozen, vegan meatless balls
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced or grated on a microplane
- 2 teaspoons finely minced, fresh ginger (or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut, safflower, or sesame oil
Slaw and Wraps
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 cups shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 green onion, tops only, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed, chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup loosely packed, chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted, chopped peanuts
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar (if you only have seasoned, decrease or omit soy sauce)
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 head bibb or Boston lettuce (about 12 leaves)
- Extra cilantro sprigs, thinly sliced Thai chiles, sriracha or gochujang (optional, for topping)
- Transfer the meatless balls to a rectangular glass lock container or a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Pour marinade over the meatless balls, cover, and allow them to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- While the meatless balls marinate, mix all slaw ingredients (carrots through red pepper flakes) together in a mixing bowl and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or saute pan. Add the meatless balls and cook, stirring the balls often so that they brown evenly, for 4-6 minutes, or until lightly browned throughout.
- To serve the lettuce wraps, place 2 meatless balls and a spoonful of the slaw into each lettuce cup. Add any additional toppings you like, wrap, and enjoy!