If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Future Mission Chinese Chef Danny Bowien won the title of 2008 World Pesto Champion, which has since become the subject of internet legend. But none of the versions published under Danny Bowien's name look quite like the smooth, creamy, bright green substance that won him the gold.
Here we've attempted to recreate it, adapted from ACHICA Living and Lucky Peach's 101 Easy Asian Recipes. —Genius Recipes
Makes: almost 2 cups of pesto, enough to sauce 1 pound of pasta with some left over for other meals
Prep time: 15 min
cups packed basil leaves (100 grams, from 2 large bunches)
tablespoon pine nuts (untoasted)
teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
cup olive oil, divided
small clove garlic
cup finely grated pecorino Romano (using a Microplane grater, 12 grams)
cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano (using a Microplane grater, 12 grams)
- Wash the basil leaves in a big bowl of cold water, changing out the water as needed if the leaves are sandy.
- Add the pine nuts and salt to a blender, along with 1/2 cup of the olive oil, or enough to cover the blades. Blend briefly, then add the basil to the blender, shaking lightly but leaving a bit of the cold water clinging to the leaves. Add a small clove of garlic—Bowien says good pesto doesn’t need too much garlic—and the remaining olive oil. Gently pulse this all together in the blender, letting the ingredients mix with each other organically. The mixture should be smooth and bright green.
- Add the cheeses and blend the mixture one final time, just until the cheese is evenly dispersed. The result should be a fresh, light pesto in a vibrant shade of green. Taste and adjust the salt, cheese, and consistency to your liking.
- Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for no more than four days or freeze (in ice cube trays or flat in freezer bags).
- This recipe is a Community Pick!