If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bring this dish of barley risotto with butternut squash to your holiday table and watch how quickly it'll disappear. —All that's Jas
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried sage and thyme
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring barley and 2 cups broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, covered, until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes or whatever the package instructions suggest.
- Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté stirring often until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add squash and sauté for 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and wine and cook until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add remaining broth, sage and thyme. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until squash is just tender.
- Stir in barley and corn. Add spinach, lemon zest, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Serve with additional Parmesan if you like.