If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Leaf crust and leaf inspired decorations makes this Pumpkin Pie a showstopper! While bourbon and chai spice bring a rich Fall spiciness to the traditional pumpkin filling. Pumpkin pie will never be the same again. —Julie | Sweet and Spicy Monkey
Makes 1-9" pie
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon chai spice
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 9" pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 egg white, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Red and Gold decorating crystals
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Place pie crust in 9" pie pan. Gently smooth out dough so it lays flat in the pie pan, bottom and sides.
- With remaining pie dough, roll out flat, approximately 1/8" thick. Use a leaf shaped cookie cutter or using a sharp knife, draw leaf shapes on pie dough. Lightly brush egg white over rim of crust and gently press leaf shapes around edge of pie. Lightly sprinkle granulated sugar over pie crust leaves. Place in refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- To make pie filling: Using your food processor or blender, add pumpkin, evaporated milk, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, chai spice and bourbon. Pulse 3 to 4 more times until blended.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs together. Combine eggs with pumpkin mixture.
- Add in sugar. Pulse until all ingredients are blended well.
- Pour into prepared pie shell. Keep in mind, pumpkin pie does not sink or settle like other pies, it should come to about 1/4" from top of pie pan. You want the filling just under the leaf edges of crust.
- Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350F degrees and continue baking for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted into middle of pie comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours. Serve after pie has cooled or refrigerate. If refrigerating, make sure pie is cool before covering for storage.
- To Make pie crust leaves to be placed on pie after Baking: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Roll pie dough out to about 1/8". Dough can be a little thicker but you don't want pie dough too thin or dough might crumble due to butter content, especially if using a homemade pie crust recipe.
- Using a leaf shaped cookie cutter or a sharp knife, cut out leaf shapes in remaining pie dough. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Brush egg whites over the top of dough leaves, sprinkle with colored sugar crystals and granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 10-12 minutes, or until light golden brown around edges or bottoms. Remove from oven and let cool before transferring to a wire rack where they can cool completely. Place pie crust leaves over pumpkin pie as desired and serve with Maple Whipped Cream.