If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom passed this recipe along to me, having found it on the back of the barley bag at her local market. Packed with mushrooms, it's a comforting and simple dinner that is welcome during any season. —Posie Harwood
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces pearled barley
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Bring the broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onions soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the barley and cook for 1 minute. Add half of the broth, reduce the heat to medium-low, and summer until the barley absorbs the broth completely, stirring every now and again. Continue adding the remaining broth, a ladle-full at a time, and simmering the barley until it is creamy and tender. This will take about 45 minutes -- stir occasionally.
- Add the cheese, parsley, and cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.