If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love roasted Brussels sprouts - this recipe dresses them up with Spanish inflected flavors. It's a good as a side with simply roasted or grilled meat, poultry or salmon; as part of a tapas assortment; or even as a vegetarian main. It was inspired by a Brussels sprout taco I had at Empellon Taqueria (in NYC) and I think it would work well that way too. —amysarah
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed with large ones cut in half or quarters
- 1/2 cup Sherry
- 1/4 cup Sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1.5 ounces crumbled Feta cheese (Queso Blanco or Ricotta Salata are good subs)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Make the relish: heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet, add onions and a good pinch of salt and saute until translucent over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook another minute, then the smoked paprika. Add the almonds and cook around 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times, until they begin to brown. Take the pan off the heat.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, a few grinds of black pepper and ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste) to coat well. Spread in a single layer on a baking pan, cut sides down. Roast for about 20 minutes, until browned and tender, flipping midway.
- While they're roasting, mix the glaze ingredients (sherry, sherry vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes) together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by around half and slightly syrupy.
- When the Brussels sprouts are done, put them into a bowl, drizzle with the glaze and toss. Add the onion/almond relish and toss again. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Sprinkle the crumbled cheese over the top and serve.