If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up liver pate was a special treat; we used to eat with homemade bread and chopped garlic on the top. In summer it will be super with a big salad or just sliced tomatoes sprinkled with sea salt. —anka
Serves: the crowd
ounces clean chicken liver-400 g (600 g-21 oz before cleaning and trimming)
cup pork lard, - 70 g -2.5 oz
small shallots, sliced – 70g- 2.5 oz cleaned
cloves of garlic-15g-0.5 oz
cup dates, diced -130 g- 4.5 oz
cup dry red wine- 180 ml- 6 fl oz
tablespoon tbsp capers -10 g -16 capers
teaspoon fresh thyme
teaspoon fresh dill
teaspoon fresh sage
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
teaspoon sea salt
- Dice the dates and place them in a small bowl, add ¾ cup wine and let soak will you prepare rest of the ingredients.
- Clean the liver from fat and connective tissue and discard those.
- Peel and slice the shallots and garlic.
- Chop the herbs.
- Melt 1/3 cup lard in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook shallots and garlic about 5-6 minutes.
- Add thyme, sage, dill, capers, dates soaked in red wine and liver.
- Cook until liver is cooked, about 8-10 minutes, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove the pan from the stove and allow to cool slightly 4-5 minutes.
- Puree mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer pate to serving a dish that you brushed with lard and let completely cool in the fridge overnight. It will be even better after a day or two.
- Serve with homemade bread or crackers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates