If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It was 5 years ago that I was introduced to the famous dates served at "Tasty and Son's" here in Portland, Ore. Who knew dates, almonds, bacon, and maple syrup could entice the taste buds with such a flavor explosion. I decided to do my own version, in lieu of bacon I used pancetta, and I umami bombed it with half an anchovy. Heavily inspired by the original, this is sure to be a hit at your next brunch without having to spend half your day in a queue. —Alexandra V. Jones
thin, slices of pancetta, cut in half
good quality oil and salt packed anchovies, cut in half
tablespoons real maple syrup, warmed.
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoon chopped Flat leaf parsley
- carefully open split side of dates and place one almond and half an anchovy in each, press closed.
- Wrap each date in half a slice of thin pancetta. Using six toothpicks skewer 2 filled and wrapped dates on each pick.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, once shimmering add skewered dates. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for a few minutes until golden, flip and cook the other side a few more minutes. (cook time will depend on the thickness of the pancetta) At this point I like to remove the toothpicks and cook the sides that the oil missed.
- Once the pancetta is golden, the dates are done cooking. Place on a plate and drizzle with the warm maple syrup and top with the parsley. Serve warm with a bloody Mary or a mimosa.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates