If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family, friends and I have always loved Asian foods. This is a favorite recipe of ours with the added additions of luscious dates puts it over the top and has made it a mega star home run for us. —BakingBrenda
Serves 4 to 6
(For bbq pork, date, & apple skewers)-
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 piece (2-inch size cube)ginger root,peeled&minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
- 2 pounds pork shoulder,cut into 8 separate thin lengthwise strip pieces,
- 2 to 3 medium size Fugi apples, cored&cut into thick slices,
- 24 pitted whole dates,
- 8 bamboo skewer sticks, kept in water bath to keep moistened,
(For pork, date & apple fried rice)-
- 3 tablespoons rice bran oil, or sesame oil
- 3 cups cold cooked rice, (white or brown rice)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pork, cut into small diced cubes
- 1 cup Fugi apple, cored, peeled & finely diced
- 1 cup dried dates, chopped,
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds,
- 1 large size shallot, finely diced,
- 1 fresh lemongrass stalk, tender inner white bulb only, minced,
- 1 piece (2-inch size cube)ginger root, peeled & minced,
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel,
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice,
- 2 to 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce,
- In a 2-quart oblong casserole dish, whisk bbq sauce ingredients, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, honey, 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, rice wine, garlic, 2-inch piece minced ginger root and 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice together until well blended; set aside.
- Prepare and assemble skewers. Using the strips of cut pork, apple slices and whole pitted dates, begin with one bamboo moistened skewer and working from the pointed end first of wood skewer, tread one end of pork strip, add apple slice followed by a whole date, (treading carefully), push on the skewer stick like a ripple the middle part of the same pork strip, and add an additional apple slice and whole date, add some of the upper part left of pork strip onto the skewer and add an additional apple slice and whole date and add the remaining upper part end of pork strip to complete skewer assemble. Continue feeding treading process assemble for remainder of skewers. Each of the 8 pork skewers should have 3 ripple folds of even portions of 1 pork strips, 3 apple slices and 3 whole dates. Carefully, place the prepared pork skewers into the bbq sauce mixture in dish.
- Heat grill to medium level heat,( gas, charcoal or indoor grill). Place bbq pork skewers over in-direct heat area, in a horizontal formation about 1-inch apart. Place a long strip of triple folded lengthwise aluminum foil under the wooden vacant end part of skewers onto the grill, to prevent over browning or burning the skewers. Grill to cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until pork is cooked completely through and no longer pink, turning skewers every 5 minutes, brushing skewers with leftover bbq sauce from dish every 10 minutes. Remove cooked Vietnamese bbq pork, date & apple skewers from heat onto a serving plate and let rest 5 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, prepare fried rice. Heat rice oil in a wok over high heat. Carefully, add the cold cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups cooked cubed pork, 1 cup diced apples, 1 cup dried chopped dates, almonds, shallot, lemongrass, 2-inch piece ginger root minced, grated orange peel, 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice and 2 to 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce and cook 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring frequently using two wooden spatulas or wooden spoons to prevent over browning. Remove from heat.
- Serve Vietnamese bbq pork, date & apple skewers with the pork, date and apple fried rice and enjoy. Recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.