If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My boyfriend loves cauliflower, and I'm constantly looking for ways to expand it beyond simple steamed preparation. This recipe had him coming back for seconds AND thirds!
Spreading the cheese mixture after layering the vegetables allows the potatoes and cauliflower to get tender from the heated milk and eggs, while most of the cheese remains on the top, creating a crispy and delicious crust. Also, tossing the vegetables in the butter, garlic and shallots creates even flavor throughout the dish. —amelinda
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 5 red potatoes
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the cauliflower into pencil-thick slides after removing the stalk. These pieces will likely fall apart into smaller ones, which is perfectly fine for the recipe. Slice the potatoes into thin slices, mince the garlic, and chop the shallots.
- Combine the potatoes, cauliflower, garlic, shallots, butter and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
- In another bowl, mix together the cheeses, milk and eggs.
- Spread the potato-cauliflower mixture in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Top with cheese mixture, be sure to spread evenly with a spoon.
- Bake for 35 minutes covered, then 25 minutes uncovered or until top gets brown and bubbly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Gratin