If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A rich, comforting mushroom soup that comes together in a flash. If you're like me and don't have the forethought to make your own veggie broth, nor the impulsiveness to spend $8+ on a jar of veggie base, you'll be happy to learn of this easy two ingredient stock substitute that adds a a burst of cheezy umami to your favorite soups. Also, it's accidentally vegan! The best kind of vegan. —Elise T.
Serves 4 to 6
Quick and Easy Nutritional Yeast Broth
- 5 cups water (I sometimes sub some of the water for canned olive brine if I have it)
- 1/2-3/4 cups soya sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch dried herbs (optional, I like marjoram, thyme, bay leaf, etc.)
- Mix water, soya sauce, and nutritional yeast together in a bowl.
- Still until the yeast is dissolved.
- Taste and add more soya sauce, yeast, or herbs until the desired strength and flavour is reached.
Rich Cheezy Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (butter or other high-heat oil would also work)
- 2 pounds white button mushrooms, sliced and halved
- 1 large sweet onion, well chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup full-fat Coconut Milk (Whole Milk also works if you don't mind non-vegan)
- 2 tablespoons lemon Juice
- 1 pinch lemon zest, optional
- black Pepper, to taste
- fresh chives, for serving (optional)
- Melt coconut oil over medium-high heat in a medium pot or dutch oven. Add chopped onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook and stir until well caramelized.
- Add the pre-prepared nooch broth, milk, and lemon zest to the mushroom-onion mixture and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blending until the desired consistency is reached. Alternately, you can transfer batches of soup to a food processor to blend the mushrooms and onions. (A little bit messy and terrible, but I did it many times when I didn't have an immersion blender)
- Season with lemon juice, black pepper, fresh chives, and more nutritional yeast, if desired. Serve and enjoy with crusty bread or crackers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique