Author Notes: As vegetables for side dishes go, broccoli is always a good option. It's available year-round and generally holds up well in the refrigerator. Because broccoli has a strong flavor, it needs seasonings with strong flavors to compliment it. Dressings with chilies, ginger, garlic, citrus juices, and spices, are best. This recipe with lime and shallots is tangy, spicy, and very tasty!
pounds fresh broccoli, rinsed
tablespoon lime juice
teaspoon lime zest
tablespoons shallots, minced
tablespoons extra-virgin oilve oil
teaspoon Kosher salt
teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mix lime juice, zest, salt, pepper flakes and cumin in a small bowl, then whisk in oil until dressing is smooth. Stir in shallots and set aside.
- Separate florets from stalks at points where the floret stems meet the broccoli stalks. Cut off the woody bottoms of the stalks and trim away 1/8 inch of outer peel.
- Cut stalks in half lengthwise and then into bite-sized pieces.
- Bring about 1 inch water and salt (1 teaspoon) to boil in a deep, wide pot.
- Lower insert or basket with broccoli into pot so it rests above water; cover and simmer about 4 to 5 minutes until just tender.
- Remove broccoli from the steamer and gently toss steamed broccoli with dressing. Transfer to serving dish and serve.