Author Notes: In a similar style as Spanish paella, this dish gets a unique flavor by cooking the dry rice in the sauce from the cooked onions and mushrooms. It is great as a side dish or topped with an egg for a main course. —Arianne Spaulding
pound crimini mushrooms, chopped
spring onions with greens, diced
cup dried rice, rinsed
cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a deep pan and cook diced white onion until soft.
- Add mushrooms, basil, thyme and salt and pepper. Simmer until cooked.
- Add about dried rice and pour vegetable broth into pan until it is 1/2in above rice. Add onion stalk and sprinkle with onion greens.
- Cover and cook until rice is done (15-20m).
- Remove cover and allow edges to crisp.
- Serve alone or with an egg on top.