If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: All of our favorite fall flavors in one bowl. This soup is nutritious, filling, quick, and vegetarian & gluten free. Add a bitter green salad warm bread and dinner is done1 —The Buttery Babe, Emily Kutchins Adler
- 1 yellow onion, large, peeled and chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- .5 pounds brown lentils
- 1 pound baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 quarts mushroom or vegetable stock
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 5 ounces peeled, cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon porcini salt, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a stock pot over medium and add the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Season generously with kosher salt and black pepper. When the veg start to brown, add the mushrooms and let them soften. Then stir in the garlic and raw lentils. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the bay leaf and rosemary to the pot, stir. Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Let the soup cook until the lentils are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Cut the cream cheese into blobs and add them into the soup, stir to soften and melt into the soup. Add the chestnuts and the porcini salt. After 1 minute the salt will have dissolved. Stir the soup and taste for seasoning.