Serves: 4 to 6
cups roasted butternut squash
teaspoons sea salt
cups butternut squash, roasted and cubed
tablespoons minced shallot
pound wild mushrooms ( We used chanterelles and cauliflower mushroom. Any mild mushroom such as Oyster or Shimeji could be substituted. )
cups lacinato ( dinosaur ) kale ( 6 to 8 stalks ), sliced in 1" strips width wise
tablespoons fresh sage, cut into thin ribbons
tablespoons fresh thyme, cut into thin ribbons
tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven at 350. Bake both squash whole for 30 minutes to soften skin. Remove from oven, cool, and peel. Cut squash in half, de-seed and chop into 1” pieces. Place 1” cubes into a baking dish and roast for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Pass 1/2 of butternut squash cubes through a food mill and into a large metal bowl. A potato smasher works as well if you don't have access to a food mill.
- Add salt and egg to squash and mix.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of flour and work in to squash until just combined. Add 1/4 of flour at a time until dough is still slightly tacky but workable. Careful not to over kneed.
- Flour work surface and working 1/4 of dough at a time, roll dough into 1/2 diameter ropes with the palms of your hands. Dust work surface and hands with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut ropes of dough into 1" pieces and transfer to a sheet pan that has been dusted with semolina or all-purpose flour.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil over medium heat.
- Over medium high heat, cook 4 T butter till it starts to brown. Fry chiffonade of sage in brown butter. Remove sage from pan and reserve.
- Spoon 1 T of butter from pan into a large metal bowl.
- Add shallots to pan and saute for until they start to turn translucent.
- Add wild mushrooms to pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add kale, thyme, and butternut squash and saute till kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 1/3 of the gnocchi at a time in pot of boiling water. When gnocchi floats spoon into bowl with the 1 T of butter and toss.
- Place cooked gnocchi in bowl and top with sauteed vegetables. Sprinkle toasted hazelnuts over the top and serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash