If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Green Goddess Dressing adapted from Chez Panisse Vegetables.
Pickled Vegetables adapted from a favorite David Lebovitz recipe for pickled radishes—I use this simple method to pickle everything.
To prepare the carrots: scrub them and trim off the straggly tip and the greens, leaving a bit of the green intact—see photos for reference. I don't peel them, but if you want to, go for it.
Scale the pickling liquid up or down depending on how many vegetables you are using. —Alexandra Stafford
Makes 1.25 cups dressing
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 to 10 carrots, stems intact but trimmed, see notes above
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets — think about the size you would want for dipping/eating
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 anchovies, minced
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, tarragon, cilantro, chives, basil
- for serving: radishes, endive, Treviso, Romaine, Little Gems
- To pickle the vegetables: In a large non-reactive saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil, until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Meanwhile, place the carrots and cauliflower in a large bowl (or two separate bowls if you don't want the color of the carrots to tint the cauliflower). Pour the pickling liquid over top. Press with a spatula to submerge. Transfer the vegetables and liquid to storage containers — use separate containers if you don't wish the cauliflower to turn color. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. Store for weeks if not longer.
- Make the dressing: Place the shallot and garlic in a large bowl. Cover with the vinegar, the juice of half a lemon, and a pinch of salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Add the anchovy and the flesh of the avocado. Mash together with a fork or whisk. Add the herbs. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Taste. You can stop here if you wish or add the cream for a richer taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt (1/4 teaspoon at a time), pepper, lemon or vinegar if necessary.
- To serve: Arrange pickled vegetables and other vegetables on a platter. Spoon green goddess dressing into a dip bowl and serve alongside the vegetables.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!