If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe. —Alannah | Kale Mary
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 200 grams brown cup mushrooms, blitzed into fine pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Polenta or pasta, to serve (see note)
- Bake eggplant in the oven for 1 hour. Let cool slightly then remove skin and put flesh into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron pan. Add mushrooms and cook until fragrant and any juices released from the mushrooms have evaporated. Transfer mushroom pieces to a bowl and set aside.
- Add a little olive oil to the pan you used for the mushrooms and add the onions. Cook over a medium heat until onions start to caramelise then add celery and carrot and cook until carrot starts to soften.
- Add red wine to the pan and let cook for 5 minutes before adding the garlic, parsley and thyme. Once that has been mixed through, add the tomato paste and tomatoes. Season with salt.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced and tomatoes have softened.
- Serve with some freshly cooked polenta or enjoy it with pasta.
- NOTE: Bring 3 cups of water to the boil. Add salt and 3/4 cup polenta. Stir continuously until polenta thickens then remove from heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes.