If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This creamy tomato soup with garlic croutons is the perfect winter warmer for this time of year. It’s simple and classic and full of flavor. The Parmesan and cream add great flavor and texture. The croutons and the perfect garnish and can be served with many other dishes. You can denfinitely serve this as an simple supper or a delicious lunch. The recipe is a breeze and you will love it! —Leah Hawkins
For the Soup:
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup cream
- shaved Parmesan for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep pan, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until they are lightly caramelized.
- Add the thyme and tomato paste.
- Add the tomatoes and the water.
- Let the mixture cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat and use tongs to remove the thyme sprigs.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Add the cream and grated Parmesan to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the soup to the stove and cook for five minutes on low.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with shaved Parmesan and garlic croutons.
For the Garlic Croutons:
- 1 french baguette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the baguette and cut the slices into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl toss the baguette pieces in the olive oil and the garlic and seasonings.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the croutons in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 mintues or until golden brown.
- Store in a sealed container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hands-Off Recipe