If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Three things should always go together: Apples, Cabbage and Sausage.
Fresh, crisp and bright. All we need is a nice Belgian beer and we'll be ready for the summer barbecues!
Serve it as a platter or as a sandwich. —Ashley B
- 1/2 Head of Red Cabbage
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Shallot
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 4 links Bratwurst
- 8 Slices Rye Bread(Optional)
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese(Optional)
- The Night Before: Slice the cabbage into ribbons with a sharp knife and discard the white core.
- Core the apple and slice into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Thinly slice shallot.
- Combine cabbage, apple and shallots into a large bowl with the vinegars, sugar and spices. Mix them together and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least overnight.
- Before Serving: Slice the wursts in half, longways.
- Lay the wursts, cut side face down, on the grill and cook until brown. About 5 minutes. Flip to the round side and cook until the skin gets crispy. This side will cook faster.
- Arrange cabbage on a plate and serve the Bratwurst on top.
- Optional: For a sandwich, toast the bread and spread cream cheese on the bottom slice before topping with Bratwurst and slaw. Make sure the warm wurst touches the cream cheese to get it nice and melty.