Author Notes: These crunchy-edged, melty-centered patties come together with two ingredients: quinoa and goat cheese. A lemony arugula salad turns them into a light, easy dinner. —Emma Laperruque
Food52 Review: This is one of our Big Little Recipes. Read more here: Make 2-Ingredient Cheesy Fritters, Win Dinner Tonight. —The Editors
Serves: 2 to 4
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 22 min
For the quinoa patties
cup quinoa, well rinsed
teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
tablespoons fresh goat cheese (90 grams)
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
For the salad
cups baby arugula
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
tablespoons just-squeezed lemon juice
pinch kosher salt
- Cook the quinoa. Combine the quinoa, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and the water has absorbed.
- Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and let sit for a few minutes to absorb any remaining water. Add the goat cheese and stir until completely melted. Season with salt to taste. Let sit for at least 10 minutes to cool and set a bit. Now form into 8 patties, each about 2 inches in diameter. (At this point, you can wrap and refrigerate the patties, then fry them within a couple days.)
- Set a preferably nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, adding more as needed to create a circa 1/8-inch thick depth. When the oil is shimmery and hot, add the quinoa patties. (If they can all fit in one pan, great. If not, no big deal—just do batches.) Pan-fry for about 4 minutes until the crust is deeply golden brown. Gingerly flip and fry for another 3 minutes or so. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, add the arugula to a big bowl. Dress with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Toss and adjust each ingredient to taste. Serve the salad with the hot quinoa patties on top.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!