If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes: 4 big toasts
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
cup whole-milk ricotta
Finely grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
cup sweet cherries, pitted and torn into halves
cup marinated beets (purchased or homemade), chopped roughly the same size as the cherries
large slices from a loaf of crusty bread (such as ciabatta or sourdough), about 1/2-inch thick
olive oil, for frying
tablespoons mint, roughly chopped
- In a bowl, mix together ricotta, lemon zest, and extra-virgin olive oil until smooth and well integrated. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper (I like to go heavy on the black pepper).
- To make basil salt: on a cutting board, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sea salt over the basil. Chop and smear them together until the basil is finely chopped and well integrated with the salt.
- In another bowl, mix together cherries and beets. Season to taste with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and toss a few times. Add a few large pinches of the basil salt, and toss again. (Set aside for about 5 minutes, then taste again, adding more lemon juice and/or basil salt if needed.)
- To make toasts: In a large nonstick skillet, add olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the bread (in batches if needed). Toast for a minute or two on the first side, peeking to see if it’s brown and toasty, then flip and toast the other side. Remove from the skillet and let cool for a few minutes.
- To assemble toasts: Smear each slice of bread with ricotta, then top with cherries, beets, and mint. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!