- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Happily for you, I’m not about to suggest using a can of cream of mushroom soup in this (or any other) recipe. But, happily for you, if you like cream of mushroom soup, you won’t miss it after you try this recipe. It’s the taste of comfort for many of us, just healthier than anything that might come out of a can. It’s also an easy recipe. I ask you to put the spinach in with the rest of the ingredients to add more flavor to the dish. The spinach will cook down and blend in with everything else, and you’ll have a vegetable and chicken dish done in one shot.
Excerpted from INSTANT POT FAST & EASY © 2019 by Urvashi Pitre. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. —Urvashi Pitre
Test Kitchen Notes
Featured in: 10 Instant Pot Chicken Recipes for Comforting Dinners All Week Long. —The Editors
garlic cloves, thickly sliced
sliced yellow onions
quartered button mushrooms
boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 or 4 sprigs
fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
fresh lemon juice
- Select SAUTÉ on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the garlic. Cook, stirring continuously, until garlic is fragrant and slightly softened, about 1 minute (take care not to let it burn).
- Add the onions and mushrooms and stir to coat. Add the chicken, thyme, water, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Place the spinach on top of the chicken mixture. Select CANCEL.
- Secure the lid onthe pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL and set the pot at HIGH pressure for 8 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Cover lightly with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Select SAUTÉ on the Instant Pot. While stirring continuously, slowly add the cream in a steady stream. Cook, stirring, until the mixture starts to thicken, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Select CANCEL.
- Serve the chicken with the mushroom-spinach mixture.