Leftover mashed potatoes? This recipe has you covered! This is my favorite way to repurpose mashed potatoes, I would even argue its good enough to warrant making the potatoes in anticipation of making some fritters!
These fritters are an anytime kind of recipe, they make a great base for a poached egg, and voila you have a fantastic brunch dish. As an appetizer, you can serve these with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives. If you’re feeling a dinner fritter, and why wouldn’t you be, try sauced up pulled chicken on top.
—@ostreetkitchen - Becca Jacobs
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Cook time 25 minutes
- Makes 8 Fritters
Head of Broccoli
Cups Cold Mashed Potatoes
Cup Grated Cheddar
Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high.
- While skillet is preheating finely chop broccoli, onion, & garlic.
- Put broccoli, onion, & garlic in the skillet and wait until you start to hear a sizzled, 3~ish minutes. Then reduce heat to medium-low and add water. Cook until broccoli is fork tender.
- Pull broccoli, onion, & garlic off the heat and let cool.
- Once the broccoli mixture is cool to the touch, in a mixing bowl, combine broccoli, mashed potatoes, flour, cheese, egg, and a little salt and pepper.
- Wipe down your skillet and heat 2-3 inches of oil on medium-high.
- Place a bowl with the remaining flour next to your fritter mixture.
- Form the fritter mixture into balls, then flatten with the palm of your hand into a flat disc.
- Sprinkle flour on both sides of the disk and pat between your hands until it is mostly caked in the flour. Repeat until mixture is gone and put to the side.
- Set up your frying station by placing a paper towel or parchment paper on top of a baking sheet and then placing a wire rack on top of that, next to your skillet.
- Pull out a small piece of one of your fritters, place in skillet, and test that the oil is hot enough, it should immediately bubble and make noise.
- Once your pan is ready, fry the fritters a couple at a time, depending on how big your skillet is, flip when the bottom edges start to become a deep brown.
- Place fried fritter on the wire rack set up to drain and salt while hot! Serve warm with the toppings of your choice, look to the recipe description for ideas.