- Your All-Time Best Creamy Breakfast Contest Winner
On special occasions or holidays my Mom made shirred or baked eggs. She would make them in individual cups or small baking dishes and it was one of my favorite breakfasts. This is my updated version of my Moms baked eggs. I added some spinach, bacon, tomatoes and used a béchamel to make it creamy and decadent. Some grated gruyere and a short trip to the broiler finishes this dish. —sdebrango
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Serves 2-4
1 1/2 cups
warmed whole milk
salt and pepper to taste
baby spinach cleaned
slices bacon cut into bite size pieces
cherry tomatoes cut in half
handful toasted breadcrumbs to coat pan(s)
- Make béchamel or white sauce: Add butter to small heavy bottom saucepan and melt on medium low heat, add the flour and whisk cooking for about 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the warm milk whisking constantly and cook until it thickens. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Heat a saute or fry pan on medium high flame and add the bacon pieces, saute until lightly browned, remove from pan leaving the rendered fat in pan. Add the spinach and saute until wilted. Remove and set aside. Place the tomatoes in the hot pan and saute until they start to blister and soften. Set aside. Pre heat oven to 425 degree's. NOTE: If bacon doesn't render enough fat add a little olive oil.
- Butter your baking pans, cocottes, ramekins or whatever you like to use. Sprinkle bottom with bread crumbs, place spinach as bottom layer, add the bacon bits and tomatoes, spoon 3 heaping tbs of béchamel in each baking dish on top of spinach, bacon and tomatoes. Create a well and gently nestle an egg in each well and spoon some more béchamel around the eggs. Place the baking dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, eggs will not be completely set, that's ok you are going to finish in the broiler. NOTE: If you don't like runny eggs leave in the oven for 12 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
- Grate the cheese while the eggs are in the oven. Remove the baking sheet and turn the broiler on with rack placed close to the burner. Sprinkle cheese on top and place in broiler for about 1 minute. Cheese will be lightly browned. Serve with toasted bread.