If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe involves malt vinegar, which I think goes very well with apples. I like the gouda, but other cheese would work well here, including goat cheese. Use a sweet apple -- if you don't have a fuji or similar variety, add a little more honey to the vinaigrette. —clintonhillbilly
- 1 apple, sliced or diced
- 1 cup gouda, sliced into small pieces
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups arugula or similar green
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix curry powder, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Add walnuts to bowl and toss until walnuts are well coated. Place walnuts on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes, until aromatic but not burned. Don't worry if the honey melts everywhere.
- Remove walnuts from the oven and set aside. Salt to taste; curry powders are all a little different and often include salt. In a bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons malt vinegar, djion mustard, 1 tablespoon honey, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- In a large salad bowl, combine arugula, apple, gouda, garlic, ginger, and walnuts, and dress with vinaigrette. If some of the honey has melted around the walnuts, just toss them back together with the melted honey, it will stick to the walnuts well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples