Author Notes: This is one of those recipes that was born out of necessity. It's January, we need to eat better after the holidays and neither my wife nor I have time to cook lunch everyday. So we decided to make a healthful protein packed salad to keep in fridge for a fast meal or snack. from our website www.justmarriedandcooking.com —Chef James
- 1/4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup apple cut into small dice
- 1 cup pear, cut into small dice
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-1.5 pounds cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce
- pomegranate seeds for garnish
- chopped pecans for garnish
- baby spinach or arugula leaves for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the scallions, lemon juice and zest and salt. As you dice the apples the apples and pears add them to the bowl and mix to coat with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Add the celery and turmeric, mix again to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the chicken, mayonnaise and hot sauce to the bowl and fold together with the other ingredients to mix without breaking the chicken too much. Adjust the seasoning to taste with more salt and hot sauce as needed.
- To serve, make a bed of greens (spinach or arugula) in the center of each plate, greens may be dry or lightly dressed with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice. Place a large spoonful of the chicken salad on top of the greens. Scatter toasted pecan pieces and pomegranate seeds over each plate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples