If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad recreates the traditional Waldorf Salad in a lighter, fresher way--no Mayonnaise. Feel free to prepare the salad on its own as a starter or side dish--works well alongside roasted meats. Here I have topped the salad with Chicken Rillette and Candied Walnuts to create a salad that would serve as a nice lunch or light dinner. —AShaps
Apple-Brussels Sprout Salad
- 3 cups Brussels Spouts, shredded
- 3 Apples, julienned
- 6 ounces Pancetta, diced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Walnut Oil
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Candied Walnuts
- Over medium-high heat, cook the pancetta so to render out the fat and crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, leaving drippings.
- Add shredded brussels sprout to the pancetta drippings (add some olive oil if pan seems to dry). Cook over high heat to brown the brussels sprouts. Do not add salt at this point, as it will prevent brussel sprouts from crisping. When brussels sprouts are well cooked add in apples and reserved pancetta. Toss and remove to a separate bowl.
- Make vinaigrette by dijon mustard, cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oils to emulsify.
- Toss salad with the vinaigrette. Toss in candied walnuts, or serve them on top. Plate the salad, and top with Chicken Rillette if using.
- 1 Chicken, 3-5 lb
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Carrot, Chopped
- 1 cup Onion, Chopped
- 1 cup Celery, Chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup White Wine
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 sprigs Thyme + 2 tbsp chopped
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons Tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat Olive Oil in oven-proof pot over medium-high heat. Brown Chicken on all sides, turning occasionally, and remove.
- Saute Carrots, Onion and Celery until golden. Add in Thyme and Rosemary Sprigs along with Bay Leaf. Add wine and boil until nearly evaporated. Return Chicken to pan and add enough stock to come half-way up the chicken. Bring to boil, then move to the oven. Braise 1 hour until tender, turning once.
- Remove Chicken from pot. Once cool shred meat and reserve. In meantime, strain the braising liquid and reduce to 2 1/2 cups on stove.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and saute shallots until tender. Add remaining butter, herbs (Thyme, Tarragon, Parsley), then the Shredded Chicken and reserved braising liquid. Simmer until Chicken is moist and liquid reduces some. Pack into glass jar and let cool uncovered. Then chill.
- Serve Rillette cold on top of salad. Note: this will make more Rillette than is needed for the above salad. Rillette will keep for one week. In the alternative serve with slices of baguette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples