🔎

I just returned from Dubai with spices and stuff, need help.

I bought Zaatar and dried pomegranates. The pomegranates are not like raisins they are like pebbles and very bitter. I also brought dates.

Stringio
Photo_on_2013-11-16_at_13.18__3
Shalini added about 2 years ago

This chicken dish is really good: http://saffronandlemons...

I would get the Ottolenghi and Moro Cookbooks to help you out. They are gorgeous and you would be able to use lots of your ingredients from Dubai. I'm not sure about the dried pomegranate seeds. For zaatar though you could sprinkle it on pitta bread brushed with olive oil and crisp them up a bit in the oven. See the roast chicken recipe above. And dates... well you should have no trouble finding recipes for those anywhere you look.

Try looking at The Spice Kitchen, I'm not sure who the author is; but I know you could find interesting uses for your spices. Also any Madhur Jaffrey book would give you a multitude of ideas and options. Health to your hands (as they say to cooks in Turkey) and Happy Eating!

Junechamp

Za'atar is great rubbed on lamb chops or a rack. Also a lovely addition to a rice pilau.

Dsc_3321
PistachioDoughnut added about 2 years ago

I use dry pomegranate seeds in Palak paneer, it gives an extra texture to the dish with it's crunchiness. It can also be used in Chole or chickpeas recipe.

Jampro
Bevi added about 2 years ago

Here are two breathtaking desserts and not knowing how to convert rose petals to rose water, I offer them up:

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added about 2 years ago

Cooking teacher and cookbook author Levana Kirschenbaum makes a refreshing wonderful Morrocan dessert with oranges, dates, orange flower water and toasted almonds. Peel and slice 4 oranges, arrange on a platter. Toast walnut slivers. Slice 12 dates (fresh are best; dried are fine too). Mix 2 T. each of fresh orange and lemon juice and 2 T. orange flower water. Drizzle over orange slices. sprinkle with the dates and toasted almonds. Sprinkle with 2T. confectioners sugar mixed w/1 t. cinnamon & serve at once. This is fabulous.

Stringio
Dona added about 2 years ago

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get started!

Gabriella Paiella added about 2 years ago

Hey Dona. My mom's Egyptian so I've been eating za'atar for as long as I can remember. One of my favorite snacks is to mix it with olive oil until I achieve the consistency I'm looking for (I typically like it a little bit on the thicker side) and then spread it on warm pita bread. It's one of the easiest and most delicious ways to enjoy the flavor.

Stringio
Dona added about 2 years ago

That's the way I ate it in Dubai, it was wonderful! It's hard to find good pita bread in Texas, I need to research a recipe.